After almost two full days of waiting on a livestream from Hello Games and the puppetmasters behind the popular Waking Titan ARG, fans of No Man’s Sky were treated to something they weren’t sure would come this early – the official trailer for No Man’s Sky NEXT. As Sean Murray put it in his first tweet of the morning, “Today is a big deal for us…”
From the outset of the trailer, players knew things were going to be different on a galactic scale. Third person views, underwater bases, customizable exosuits, and full multiplayer – things that were told and teased – were finally shown for the first time. The trailer starts with a squad underwater, transitioning to dry land and taking a walk before launching into space, through a new volumetric-like cloud design, and showing another feature that was teased – ringed planets.
Throughout the past few months, players have been told that this update would be Hello Games’ largest to date, and judging by the trailer, they have hit the mark. ChaosContrl, a member of the Atlas Hub Discord community, had this to say about the update:
“After a long time, this game looks way more phenomenal than before. I can see this universe of a sandbox getting filled with each passing update, to reach this checkpoint with a community backing it up all along the way. This game is a seed growing day by day, nourished by fans and a hard working, passionate team, until it will finally blossom its radiant petals to the world’s game industry like a work of art without compare.”
Below, see a list of upcoming changes. Please note that these are NOT patch notes, but bullet points for the update. We expect more to come when the offiicial patch notes are released:
- Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travelers.
- You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
- Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
- Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
- Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
- Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.
- The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.
- Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
- Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
- Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.
Unlimited Base Building
- Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
- Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
- Hundreds of new base parts.
- Own multiple bases.
- Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
- Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
- Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
- Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.